Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Settling in

A lot is going well after our move.  Sterling loves his new school and almost every day says it is the best day ever.  His teacher says he is a delight to have in class and he is testing very high, especially in reading.  We've been to the library several times and he's been reading every day.  He has been treating me better and we've had a lot of time to do crafts together, including sewing a pair of Miraculous Ladybug pants.  They are almost complete.

Thankfully it didn't snow while we were moving, however we were here about 3 days when it started snowing and we were stuck for almost 2 weeks.  We couldn't go much of anywhere or meet new people, or explore Tacoma.  We did make it to the gym a few times and Nick and I got the cars registered.  We got together with someone we knew from Portland who moved to Tacoma a year ago--a woman and her son who is a year older than Sterling.  That was a bright spot. 

I have been very anxious and homesick.  I applied for jobs from the computer.  I deleted my church contacts from Facebook and my phone.  I felt trapped in the house.  We had planned to go back and clean our Portland house during this time, but we couldn't get out.  I've been feeling miserable.  I've been grieving my congregation and Portland.

Sunday I was able to get to church.  Sterling wanted to go back to the one we tried first, but I talked him out of it.  We found a small congregation and attended there.  We were greeted immediately and warmly and invited into conversation.  Someone sat with us and interacted with us.  They had a guest organist and there were hiccups, but it was fine.  And ever since I've had the Glory to God in my head.  So I have my dark cloud of unhappiness, but I have this other song playing against it.  It is a strange and good combination, reminding me of God's goodness and the bigger picture while I feel sorry for myself.

Then I went to text study yesterday, and that really lifted my spirits.  It was nice to be with colleagues and people who understand what it means to serve a congregation and leave a congregation and be in a new place and trying to follow where God leads.  Then another colleague invited me to coffee.  She just left a call mid-January.  She also loved her congregation and is grieving heavily.  She moved to Tacoma the day after we did and can't get back to her house because of snow there.  I felt a lot better after all that.

Also, we did finally get to Portland to clean.  We didn't get a lot done, but it meant a lot that Nick came too and didn't just send me to do it all.  Also we met with a property manager that gave us hope that our place would rent and we wouldn't have to do much to it to get it ready.  We could see what all has to be done and I am going back this weekend and will spend the night and invite as many friends as possible to come help out and hopefully knock out a whole bunch of it.  So we have a plan.

Also, the Assistant to the Bishop is hopeful we can find a church for me soon.  I have one profile in my in-box and another on the way, with a third available if one of the first two doesn't work out.  I see a little light coming through the cracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment