Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 28, 2023

August 8, 2021 First Sermon at Trinity

 The Lessons of bread:

The first lesson of bread is: Be hungry.  If we’re full, we’re not going to want to eat.  If our every need is met, or we’re pretending our every need is met and that we are self-sufficient to provide for our every need, we’re not going to be open to receiving bread.  The world tells us to put up that independent, brave, satisfied, fulfilled image.  Jesus shows us that its ok to be hungry. 

I come to you, Trinity Lutheran, hungry.  I come with the structures—the background, experience, and education.  But I am hungry for the stories about what makes you you.  What experiences have shaped you as a person and congregation?  I am hungry to understand your relationships with each other, with other congregations, with the neighborhood.  I am hungry to hear your stories about your encounters with God.  I am hungry for whatever tidbits you will share with me, or big hunks of bread.  I come hungry and I can’t feed myself this information, these relationships.  I pray that you will share yourselves with me, your stories, your insights, your suggestions, and your love.

I hope you will be hungry, too.  Maybe you already know all the stories, but I suggest you too are hungry for stories of God working in our world and in the lives of your siblings in Christ here at Trinity and your siblings in surrounding congregations and institutions, of your neighbors.  Our context is always changing, so a story you thought you knew, you will perhaps hear and understand in a different way.  These times of transitions are good times to admit we are hungry and to open ourselves to the nourishment, to the love, to the bread that God provides in the body of Christ.  I bring some bread with me that I will do my best to share with you.  It will take me some time to learn the recipes that you enjoy most, so I hope you will be patient with me. 

Let’s be hungry together for the food God is feeding us.

The second lesson of bread is: Tension is necessary.  Bread requires kneading—pushing and pulling.  Church is full of tension because it is a community of people coming together with different perspectives and ideas and backgrounds.  Without kneading the bread doesn’t properly rise.  Without tension, the church doesn’t rise.  We create tension when we tell the truth.  For instance, in today’s Gospel Jesus tells the truth about where he comes from as the living bread.  This is not well-received.  We live in a world that values independence, hard work, instant gratification, and being prepared.  Jesus comes bringing different values that are in tension with the values of this world.  Jesus values sharing, community relationships, generosity, and sacrifice.  When he says he comes from above, people think he’s trying to say he’s more special than they are.  But part of what Jesus means is that he is the source of life, giving himself away so that everyone might have life.  Even this is offensive, because people want to control who has access to life, because of sin, because we want to be god. 

The Gospel today doesn’t gloss over the human tendency to complain.  Complaining is a form of tension.  It displays our resistance to the Good News.  It displays our idolatry, our need to be right, our need to say who gets fed and who doesn’t, our need to control when and how things are done.  We all have our complaints—we might as well admit it and get them out there where we can take a look at them.  Not all complaints are worth bringing forward to a group, but all are worth examining because they tell us what’s important to us.

I commit to you today to open myself to you and your ways.  I will ask questions—a lot of questions.  I will get tired and irritable sometimes.  But I also commit to examining my complaints and ask you to do the same.  Sometimes our complaints come because we are tired or hungry.   This is a good time to remember how we can’t complain with our mouths full.  When we eat the bread of life, we are at least stopped for a moment from anxiety, from fear, from arguing.  When we find ourselves complaining, it is a good time to stop and ask ourselves which of our needs is not being met.  Are we hungry, tired, stressed from situations at home or at work?  Am I not feeling valued and why?  Where are my complaints coming from?  Are they about me and how I’m feeling or are they legitimate concerns for the church or the community?  Are they coming from a place of love or a place of fear?  And I don’t mind listening to complaints to a certain extent and helping to sort out where they are coming from.  I might not feel as passionate about them as you do, but I will likely try to understand and maybe even try to help you figure out what to do with your complaint.  A complaint can be good, especially if it spurs us to do something about it.

The third lesson of bread is to rest.  If you bake bread, you know how important it is to let it rise.  There are times for work, tension, kneading the bread, and there are times to let it rest.  While it is resting, work is going on with the yeast.  It is work we cannot do for the yeast.  We just have to let go and let it happen.  God rested on the 7th day. God gave the people manna and commanded them that on Friday, they would collect two day’s worth of manna so that the Sabbath day would be a day of rest.  Many times, Jesus went up on the mountain to pray and be alone.  We, too, need to take rests.  We need to let others do their work.  We need to take a break.  I commit to you to take my days off.  I ask you to consider what activities you are called to rest from.  I ask you to take the time you need when you are sick or grieving or anxious.  I ask you to get your rest.

The final lesson of the Living Bread is to let Jesus be Jesus.  This is part of the last one about taking rests.  Jesus does not say, “You are the bread of life.”  No Jesus says, “I am the bread of life.”  We are not Jesus.  We cannot do all the things.  We cannot make the bread rise.  We cannot do everything perfectly and we were not meant to.  I will make mistakes.  Whatever the call committee told you, I am only human.  I will forget your name.  I may mix you up with someone else.  I won’t do or say or be what you expect me to.  There will be times I will fail you.  And the same is true of you.  You are human.  You will make mistakes.  You will not be who I expect you to be.  We will cause each other pain.  But it isn’t our perfection that holds us together.  It is the love of God that binds us into the body of Christ.  So we will forgive and love each other and help each other and let Jesus be Jesus.

Since we aren’t Jesus, we’re going to let Jesus do what Jesus does best.  We’re going to let Jesus feed us.  We will be nourished by Jesus’ body and blood and teaching.  We’re going to trust in Jesus’ abundance and not fear that there won’t be enough food, members, volunteers, money, health, or skills.  We’re going to remember that Jesus is the source of all life, not us, and look to Jesus for help and guidance.  We’re going to thank and praise Jesus for all good things that he willingly shares with us.  And we’re going to trust Jesus to lead us as our shepherd, follow him through times of sorrow and pain, follow him in times of joy and abundance, share the love and bread he shares with us, and we’re going to rise to new life every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment