Search This Blog

Thursday, July 9, 2015

"Gardening when it counts: Growing food in hard times"

   Over the past two weeks, I have been reading "Gardening when it counts: Growing food in hard times" by Steve Solomon.  I wanted to read this book because I am convinced that climate change is going to make it harder to grow a home garden, but also more necessary to do so.  I also learned some helpful tips for starting a garden at the church if we decide to do so.  This book was full of interesting, helpful information.  I hope to implement what I've learned in the coming years.

   The author lived and grew a garden in Oregon for many years, so much of his experience is applicable to my garden.  He wrote about soils, nutrients, composting, and a recipe for his favorite fertilizer.  He wrote about plant placement, root systems, cover crops, and watering.  I am probably overwatering.  If we come to a time when we need to conserve water more, it will be important to space plants far apart.  I learned about diseases and pests.  And there was a whole chapter devoted to each kind of plant, individually.

   I realized that we might not need to put up raised beds at the church.  The author prefers mounds because then the gardener can hoe out any rocks or dirt clods.  Spaces could me marked off with string attached to little posts.  That would save a lot of money and work on community garden spaces.

This book is full of detailed information.  As a result of what I have been reading, I have already reduced my watering and pulled up several volunteer tomato plants from the garden.  There just isn't space for those plants to take moisture and nutrients from my healthy strong plants that have already set tomatoes on the vine.  I am excited to try some of the author's techniques at home and hopefully at church, if the congregation is interesting in being a garden site.

No comments:

Post a Comment